For those of you that know me well, will know that I LOVE baking more than cooking.
I particularly love making cupcakes!
Ever since I stumbled upon this Egg free cupcake recipe, I have been addicted. Today I want to share the love.
What you need:
1 ½ cups of All purpose flour
1/4 cup of unsweetened cocoa powder
1 cup of granulated sugar
1 teaspoon bicarbonate of soda (also known as baking soda)
½ teaspoon of salt
1 cup of brewed coffee (or 1 cup of warm water mixed with 1 ½ teaspoon of instant coffee granules)
1 tablespoon of white vinegar
2 teaspoons of vanilla essence
6 tablespoons of olive oil
4 tablespoons of butter
1/3 cup of cocoa powder (unsweetened)
1 ½ cup of icing sugar
3 tablespoons of milk
1 tablespoon of vanilla essence
- Pre-heat oven to 180 degrees, and prepare cupcake tin with cupcake liners.
- In a large bowl, vigorously whisk together the sifted flour, salt, cocoa powder, sugar and bicarbonate of soda. (the cocoa tends to form lumps so be sure to mix until there are no lumps visible)
- In a separate bowl, mix the coffee , vinegar, vanilla essence, and olive oil together.
- Pour the wet ingredients into the bowl of dry ingredients, and stir (not too much) until it all comes together. The mixture should be quite thin.
- Pour the batter into the cupcake liners (fill them about two-thirds of the way) and place them in the oven for about 20 minutes.
- Once removed and cooled, you can ice the cupcakes. (makes about 12 big cupcakes)
- While the cupcakes are baking, get started on the icing mixture. This is the fun and easy part! And It makes the most delicious dark chocolate icing I have ever had the pleasure of tasting!
- Melt the butter, take off the heat, and stir in the sifted cocoa until smooth. (it should form a paste)
- Sprinkle in about a third of the icing sugar, and then about half the milk and vanilla essence (add it slowly – be careful not to throw it all in at once as it will become too runny – you want it to be a nice thick consistency)
- Keep alternating between the icing sugar, milk and vanilla essence until you are happy with the consistency (and taste) of the icing. -(I prefer mine with less icing sugar – it is more bitter and dark)
- Pop the icing mixture into a piping bag or cupcake decorating kit, and don’t forget to lick the bowl. Have fun decorating!
*A little tip: if you do not have time to make the cupcakes, I found a packet of 10 ready-made, un-iced, vanilla cupcakes at Pick n Pay. (they are not egg free, but are surprisingly delicious) I Sometimes buy these when I don’t have the time to make them, and just add my own dark chocolate icing.